Saturday, July 29, 2017

Graves' Disease

(Graves' Disease is no walk in the park.)

Yesterday, I woke up at 5 a.m. and drank a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Then I read the paper while enjoying a bathroom break. The Chinese Super League is facing a crisis. Many of the teams haven't paid their players in a timely fashion. In fact, thirteen professional soccer clubs are currently in arears, including the two squads from Shanghai. If the bills aren't resolved by August, the teams will be relegated to the first division.

We drove to Daejeon. My wife had to visit the doctor once again because of her Graves' Disease. The blood test showed signs of hope. Her hormone levels have dropped quite precipitously. But that could lead to another problem--namely hypothyroidism. The side effects are weight gain and depression. So she'll have to return to the hospital in October for another test. Graves' Disease is no walk in the park. All those hormone blitzes lead to serious mental and physical problems. The last three years have been hell. Nevertheless, I remain hopeful. And why not? We live in the age of medical miracles.

We ate lunch at a meat buffet. My sister-in-law met us at the restaurant. This particular establishment served chicken, pork, and beef. I drank two bottles of soju with the meal. I became quite intoxicated.

My sister-in-law's husband owns a PC Room. This made Ken the Atheist very excited. He's addicted to computer games.

Ken said, "Let's go visit for a couple of hours."

I said, "No. We should probably go home."

Sadly, nobody listens to me. I had to sit with the kids as they played Overwatch. Meanwhile, Miz perfect shopped with her sister. It wasn't terrible. I was given free cups of gourmet coffee.

I called my wife.

"We should take the children to a baseball game. Hanwha is playing LG tonight at the stadium."

She agreed. However, Ken went nuts.

He said, "I'm not watching that crap. I hate sports."

I said, "You're a filthy junkie. All you want to do is play with technology twenty-four hours a day. We need to get you out into the sunlight."

"I don't like the sunlight."

Rice-Boy Larry decided to chime in. "Baseball sucks, Dad. We want to go home after this."

I was very disappointed, but I decided to acquiesce. There's nothing written in stone proclaiming that all boys should love sports. And both my kids do well in school. I suppose that's a blessing in itself. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have someone to watch a game with from time to time.

We arrived home at 6 p.m. I ate shrimp fried rice. It was good. Then I viewed American Crime Story for several hours. After that, I said my prayers and went to bed. I slept like the dead.

4 comments:

  1. Same here! I'm a caricature of of a Dad trying to interest my 15 year old in "productive" activities; art, music, horses, martial arts...and what does Son and Heir want? Computer games and s-o-o-ometimes bicycling and swimming.
    Acquaintances stories are the same. Even the "star" on my boy's class has become lazy - according to his Mom.
    Don't lose heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Klaus.

      I'll try to stay strong.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Same here! I'm a characature of a 15 year old trying to survive a Dad who wants people to be "productive"!

    Drink more soju!!!!

    Here's pops in pajamas belting out the old tune "puss in boots".

    ReplyDelete